All about us
We are situated on the edge of the Forest of Bowland, about 3 miles from the centre of Lancaster. The school is built next to the church, which is a mile from the nucleus of the village, and is in a delightful rural location and well served by the road network.
Parents choose to send their children to the school from a wide catchment area and this contributes towards the school’s rich and diverse make-up.
The school is controlled by the Local Education Authority and is very popular. Places are usually over subscribed and the Authority’s criteria applies in allocating places.
The original building of the school, The Victorian Classroom, was built in 1851 and additions have been made in the 1950s, 1970s and more recently in 2000, when a reception classroom was added. We now have four classrooms, a fully equipped hall, as well as resource areas and a library. We are fortunate that all rooms give panoramic views over rolling hills and fields. Every opportunity is taken for the children to take advantage of the school’s extensive grounds during playtimes and lessons.
In 2000, the school was awarded Beacon Status by the DfES for ‘consistently high standards’, and we were awarded Investors in People in 2004 and again in 2010. We are also fully supportive of The Healthy Schools and Eco Schools Schemes. In 2009 we were awarded our second green flag for environmental commitment. We are also fully compliant with the SFVS (Schools Financial Value Standard).
2012 saw us receive our International Eco-Schools certificate for our continued excellence in improving the environmental performance of the school and the wider community.